Stop forcing yourself. Fatigue can be self-created by forcing yourself. You suffer when you dis-empower yourself by feeling that you are not in control of your destiny and force yourself to do something. All that you create – or do not create in your life – comes from choice.
Force and power are not the same, even though they can feel like it. Embrace and understand the dynamics of this essential ingredient of personal power. Freedom lies in understanding that you choose everything! Even in “inaction” there is a choice. In reality, there is no true inaction or stagnation.
Whenever you are engaged in an activity that you don’t want to do, you are acting in opposition to yourself. Unfortunately part of your energy is going towards doing the activity, but another part of our energy is going towards resisting the activity.
That resisting energy creates conflict within ourselves. That is when we distract ourselves with, for example, Facebook or TV, engage in suppression activities like over excess drinking or drugs, procrastinate, etc. All the above actions lead to various energy sucking emotional states; anxiety, anger, and depression. Sometimes the opposition shows up as unconscious sabotage. This can be called counter-intention.
In contrast, when you are doing something that you are passionate about, you love and believe in, you are fully engaged. When every part of you is engaged in the activity and you are happy, an incredible amount of joy, creativity, and productivity is possible. This was famously advised in the quote below.
“My general formula for my students is “Follow your bliss.” Find where it is, and don’t be afraid to follow it.” – Joseph Campbell
You can justify any situation in your life by proclaiming, “I have no choice” “I cannot do anything to change my circumstances” “there is nothing I can do” etc. That is a false belief. You can “choose” to allow the outer world to affect how you see your situation – yet; there is never a situation in which you do not have power and a choice.
Remember the age-old wisdom; it is not what happens. it is how you react to what happens.
So, it is not that you do not have a choice – you are choosing which energetic price you are willing to pay.
For example, if you are currently in an unhappy work situation you can make choices.
- You can choose to stay there – because you are fearful of change, of the economy or whether or not you can find another means of income. Usually, the price you will pay for this choice is continued feelings of unhappiness, boredom, anger, hopelessness, lethargy and depression. Eventually, these emotions will affect other areas of your life
- You can choose to stay at that workplace and change energetically how you see your situation.You can help to self-heal in any situation by your thoughts. Using an empowering thought can create a dramatic change in how you see your situation. “I will stay in this job because it is providing me with an income at this time. I will keep my eyes open for new opportunities and know that this is a temporary situation and I can choose again at any time”.
- You can choose to leave any job with the understanding that you are a creative being and can create new sources of income. This choice can seem the most “expensive” choice in terms of energy because the fear of the unknown is huge. Yet, on another level, it is not as expensive energetically as forcing yourself to stay at an unhappy workplace. What is required is letting go of fear and faith in yourself.
Translated, the first of these three examples is actually the most “expensive” energetically. The seemingly least scary and most gentle of the three is the second and the most daring and least costly is the last.
Stop Forcing Yourself in Relationships
Forcing is even easier to understand in relationships, in what Empowered Self Healing refers to as co-regulation. Examples of three primary relationship choices are:
- When you choose to stay in an unhappy, stagnant or abusive relationship. You can continue to hide or complain about how miserable you are. You can convince yourself that you cannot leave this relationship for various reasons. In fact, you can justify or make excuses for your situation, all while living in fear, anxiety and pain. You can choose to dream about what else may be out there but never give yourself an opportunity to explore any possibility. This choice takes a huge amount of energy.
- You can choose to stay in the relationship with an affirmation such as, “I love this person. I Will communicate my feelings to help bring about changes which I will focus on. If after a time, I see that the situation has not or will not change, then I will choose again”. By doing this or another affirmation, you empower yourself, Knowing that you are staying because it is your choice, not because there are no other options.
- Or you can choose to leave the dysfunctional relationship. This choice will the difficult short-term, because this choice may lead loneliness and even pain. You can feel anxiety, sadness and loss. However, with this new freedom, the level of your anxiety, negative thoughts and feelings will diminish in time, making way for life-affirming energy. An affirmation could be “I am choosing to leave this relationship/friendship because it is not contributing to my joy and ultimate happiness. I know there are numerous opportunities to meet new friends and lovers.”
It is important to recognize pressuring yourself or forcing yourself is very different from motivating yourself. Motivating yourself will get you to take action while pressuring yourself will only result in freezing your limbs and brain cells into a state of inaction. Try to say yes to positive actions by saying no other actions.
Being creative – letting the imagination fly
Going to lunch with positive and energetic friends
Going for walks
Relaxing in bed till noon coming up with ideas
Thinking about big questions like – what is the purpose of life?
Writing in a journal
Doing something you love daily
Learning passive income strategies
Going to workshops to learn…
Add your own …..
Notice when you spend time thinking about those people who drain energy, then say no to letting them rent precious brain space. Let go of the people who are drains in your life.
Next, ask what time can be limited doing what you dislike doing, and tasks in which you may not quite so skilled – household chores, administrative work, accounting, paying bills etc.
Ask yourself if you are able to afford to hire someone to help you with these tasks. If you are unable to, then ask yourself – is it worth it took not complete this task? If yes, then know it is a choice. If you are currently unable to pay to have others help you complete the tasks, consider a way to barter with others in exchange for your own services that you love to do. This is basic idea of the sharing economy
During these specific life changes, there will be people from whom you will receive a lot of flak and pressure about getting things done. Other people may have their ideas of what you should do, but you know in your heart that only you decide what you are going to do.
Stop forcing yourself because no matter how much blame, guilt and shame is sent your way, it is your decision to take it up or ignore it. End the forcing in your life so you can use your innate power.
Understanding Psychological Reactance New Developments and Findings Christina Steindl, Eva Jonas, Sandra Sittenthaler, Eva Traut-Mattausch, and Jeff Greenberg
Are you Forcing your Feelings for Someone?
Click here to get this post in PDF