Without motivation, you’re not going to heal. Healing is about empowering yourself and only you can do that. When a person believes something is impossible, then it is.
When in chronic pain the simplest movement can be a positive breakthrough. Meet yourself in the new year where you are, not where you want to be. That point is your baseline. Don’t get upset and angry that you used to be able to – fill in the blank – or that you could years ago. Focus on what you’re going to change now. When you are able to have one success build on that. For example, when you can move your arms or toes in a way that you haven’t been able to, celebrate and do it again tomorrow.
7 ways to motivate daily
- Explain your plans. Click To Tweet Usually, by the time I tell my friend about the newsletter I’m going to write, I’m out of my slump and back at the keyboard. Find someone that listens well, and tell them what you want to do. If it is something that you really want, this will almost always get you motivated.
- Stimulate desire. Imagine the rewards of your effort clearly. Click To Tweet Imagination motivates many to sign up for get-rich-quick plans. Good salesmen can have you living in your imagined dream home in minutes, and you’ll feel motivated to do anything to make it real. Just learn to be your own salesman.
- Use pain as a motivator. Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) teaches you to link pain with not acting. If you imagine a scene of your kids sitting in jail for drug use – that might motivate you to have that talk you’ve been avoiding. Linking pleasure and rewards to acting is only half of the formula. Remember to link pain to not acting. Click To Tweet
- Develop a true interest. If you have no interest at all, it might mean you need to do something else, but if it’s just a task you dislike, relate it clearly in your mind to the greater goal. I don’t like to drive, but when I remember those mountains I’m going to, I get motivated to drive.
- Create energy. Coffee can help for a while, but one way or another, you need to have some energy to have motivate yourself. Exercise, sleep well and watch out for sugary foods – the “sugar blues” will kill your motivation.
- Have the proper mental state. It’s rare to be depressed and motivated. Resolve some of your negative feelings, and you'll have more motivation. Click To TweetAnother way is to do your important work when you are in a better mood.
- Make any small step. Commit to raking up one bag of leaves, and soon you’ll want to finish the yard. Any small step towards your goals creates momentum.
You have seven ways now, but will you actually use them? How do you get motivated to try any practice? That you have to figure that one out yourself. Popular motivators include peer pressure, bribes, celebrations, meaning in life. Humor, by the way, can be a good motivator. Laughing often breaks up the feeling of being overwhelmed. An eighth way to motivate yourself. What do you use to motivate yourself?